Well it looks like the Triple Crown is upon us starting with the big daddy that starts it all the Kentucky Derby. Now all horses aside, the Derby brings with it a certain pomp and circumstance like no other. So,without sounding like a total southern deb, the mint julep is great but I think we can do better. I’m going to need to bake..probably in a funny hat with the TV on.
For those of you not in know, The mint julep is a mixed cocktail made with bourbon, water, crushed or shaved ice, and fresh mint. It’s delicious but so are cupcakes. Let’s combine and see what happens. We found this great recipe on Aprilgolightly and thought let’s give a go!
Here we go..let’s make it happen and can I just say, you had me at heavy whipping cream.
Mint Julep Cupcake Recipe
Yields: 24 cupcakes
1 cup unsalted european sweet cream butter
2 cup white sugar
1 tsp madagascar vanilla extract
1 tsp mint extract
2¾ cup all-pourpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
1 cup Jim Beam bourbon
2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
4 cup powder sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp mint
2 tbsp bourbon
2-4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line cupcake tins with liners.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, baking powder, and 1¾ cups of the flour.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, eggs, and extracts in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Add the milk and bourbon to the batter, and then the remaining flour.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Once cool, pick the cupcakes with a fork and then using a BBQ brush, brush the tops with the Bourbon.
- Add all ingredients into a standing mixer and mix until stiff peaks form.
- If to powdery, add in another tbs of heavy whipping cream.
- Once stiff, fill piping bag with frosting and pipe onto cupcakes.
- Top with mint leafs.